The Master in Technical Communication and Localization (TCLoc) is a distance-learning degree that combines academic instruction and professional certification. Graduates obtain both a master’s degree from the University of Strasbourg and a professional certification from tekom, Europe’s largest professional association for technical communication.
TCLoc is a career-oriented master’s degree in which students learn to create and manage technical documentation and localize products, particularly in the field of multimedia. They also develop project management skills and learn the basics of web design and web technologies.
Upon completion of the program, graduates possess the necessary skills to:
- Critically analyze and evaluate the context and requirements of an information product prior to its creation (including normative requirements and technical standards)
- Write technical documentation in English
- Understand and master complex localization processes, notably in technical documentation for IT products
- Implement a plan for creating information products
- Understand the principles of, and concepts behind, online documentation
- Identify the different stages of information development
- Manage technical documentation and localization projects
- Integrate translation and localization into a project plan
Degree and Certification
TCLoc combines academic instruction and professional certification. Our graduates obtain a master’s degree from the University of Strasbourg and a tekom Technical Communicator professional certification. The Master’s in Technical Communication and Localization (TCLoc) is ranked at Level 7 of The European Qualifications Framework (EQF=300 ECTS).
Training and professional certification is provided by tekom as part of their TCTrainNet international training and certification program.
For more information, please download the tekom Technical Communicator certification program outline.
tekom Europe is Europe’s largest and most prominent professional association for technical communication. Founded Germany in 2003, it connects more than 9,200 professionals in the technical communication field. tekom Europe’s mission is mainly to promote and develop technical communication in Europe and to represent the interests of both creators and users of technical communication products.
It connects its members to a variety of events, publications, and training opportunities, including:
- The tcworld conference: the largest international conference for technical communication
- The tcworld magazine: an online and print magazine
tekom has active partnerships with several universities, including the University of Strasbourg. As a TCLoc partner, tekom will be providing the TCTrainNet training and certification program in Technical Communication to our students, enabling them to obtain the tekom Technical Communicator certification.
A TCLoc degree opens doors to employment opportunities in numerous expanding economic sectors including technical communication, localization, Internet and multimedia.
TCLoc provides students with the tools to enter the workforce as:
- Technical communication and localization project managers
- Technical writers
- Web writers
- Localization engineers
- Information and content managers
- Information architects
- Content specialists